Need advice

Shirley, NY |

I learned my lesson mentality and emotionally and have experienced deserved panic attacks for my bad judgement. Now here is my problem, I'm 19 years old and was shopping at Khols. I took a 15 dollar eyeliner and was caught.This is my first offence of any kind I have a clean record.However I was caught and did not fight them, no police were involved and I returned the item undamaged and still able to be sold to the public.I apologized and filled out all the papers they gave me.The LP told me because it was such a small item I would or wouldn't get something in the mail, bill/fine/or court summons. I honestly have no money to pay a fine and can bairly pay my bills as it is. I can't sleep with the anxiety and stress and I'll never do this again. I learned my lesson now what should I do??

1. Do nothing, if you were not arrested at the scene, then it is unlikely that you will be arrested. If they send you a bill or a lawyer sends you a letter to pay for shoplifting ignore the letter. For stress see a mental health therapist to assist you. Hopefully this was a one time mistake and a lesson learned for you.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

2. Kohls or its lawyer will send you a series of letters (and may even call) seeking a civil demand (which is authorized by state law) of 5 times the value of the goods allegedly stolen up to $500. I advise my clients not to pay this civil demand because I have never seen a store sue to collect as it is not worth their time and money. I write letters to the store or their attorneys for my clients directing the store or its lawyers not to communicate with my client and to only deal with me. This stops the store or its lawyers from contacting my clients any further. Ignoring the civil demand letters will not cause you to be arrested now - I've never seen some one arrested after the fact. You got very lucky.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

3. As noted by attorney Rothstein, it is unlikely that anything will happen other then receipt of some letters from the store.

I hope you found this answer helpful and if so, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. You can also choose a "best answer" if you wish. This is easy to do and greatly appreciated.

* This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy.

This advice is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship and is a general anwer to the question posed.

4. I agree with the previous posters do absolutely nothing. I also changed your tag so that you will get other responses.

5. I always advise my clients to ignore the civil demand letters. After you ignore them twice, they go away.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.