Need advice

I learned my lesson mentality and emotionally and have experienced deserved panic attacks for my bad judgement. Now here is my problem, I'm 19 years old and was shopping at Khols. I took a 15 dollar eyeliner and was caught.This is my first offence of any kind I have a clean record.However I was caught and did not fight them, no police were involved and I returned the item undamaged and still able to be sold to the public.I apologized and filled out all the papers they gave me.The LP told me because it was such a small item I would or wouldn't get something in the mail, bill/fine/or court summons. I honestly have no money to pay a fine and can bairly pay my bills as it is. I can't sleep with the anxiety and stress and I'll never do this again. I learned my lesson now what should I do??

Shirley, NY -

Eric Edward Rothstein

Eric Edward Rothstein

Criminal Defense Attorney - New York, NY

Kohls or its lawyer will send you a series of letters (and may even call) seeking a civil demand (which is authorized by state law) of 5 times the value of the goods allegedly stolen up to $500. I advise my clients not to pay this civil demand because I have never seen a store sue to collect as it is not worth their time and money. I write letters to the store or their attorneys for my clients directing the store or its lawyers not to communicate with my client and to only deal with me. This stops the store or its lawyers from contacting my clients any further. Ignoring the civil demand letters will not cause you to be arrested now - I've never seen some one arrested after the fact. You got very lucky.

Jayson Lutzky

Jayson Lutzky

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Bronx, NY

Do nothing, if you were not arrested at the scene, then it is unlikely that you will be arrested. If they send you a bill or a lawyer sends you a letter to pay for shoplifting ignore the letter. For stress see a mental health therapist to assist you. Hopefully this was a one time mistake and a lesson learned for you.

Lawrence Allen Weinreich

Lawrence Allen Weinreich

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Westbury, NY

As noted by attorney Rothstein, it is unlikely that anything will happen other then receipt of some letters from the store.

I hope you found this answer helpful and if so, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. You can also choose a "best answer" if you wish. This is easy to do and greatly appreciated.

* This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy.

This advice is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship and is a general anwer to the question posed.
Joseph A Lo Piccolo

Joseph A Lo Piccolo

Criminal Defense Attorney - Garden City, NY

I always advise my clients to ignore the civil demand letters. After you ignore them twice, they go away.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

Maria C. Tebano

Maria C. Tebano

Family Law Attorney - Newtonville, NY

I agree with the previous posters do absolutely nothing. I also changed your tag so that you will get other responses.