Skip to main content

Naturalization question - Form N-400 Part 10

Jersey City, NJ |

I will be filng the N-400 form for naturalization soon and I have a question on the Part 10: Additional Questions. My friend told me that we have to declare EVERYTHING even though it's minor thing (ex. speeding tickets). I live in New Jersey now but my car registration and my drivers' license are still registered in Maine (ever since I lived there 3 years ago). Will I be in trouble and should I change my car registration and my drivers license to New Jersey now or Is it too late? Does it really matter?

Attorney Answers 2


Rule #1, never lie about anything on your application. State the truth and explain why you forgot about mentioning such.

Mark as helpful


You should absolutely disclose everything on the naturalization application. Furthermore, you should change your driver's license and car registration so that you can provide proof that you have done so, and that you are living in NJ at the time of your naturalization interview. This is especially important if you do not have other documentation to demonstrate that you reside in NJ. The officer at your interview will need proof that you have been residing in NJ for at least three months prior to filing your application. Further, you will have to tell him/her why you didn't change your driver's license upon moving to NJ.

Please note that content of this reply does not constitute legal advice or create an Attorney/Client relationship in the absence of an agreement for legal services/retainer with my office. This is just a place to start in deciding what to ask your lawyer.

Mark as helpful

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics