Naturalization Interview Question.

New York, NY |

My naturalization interview is coming up. On my application I did not disclose my traffic tickets, because I didn't understand the question. I realized after mailing the application that even small traffic tickets should have been disclosed.I will mention it at the interview, but I don't have any records/copies of the tickets and/or proof of payment. I paid one $180 speeding ticket about 10 years ago,and between 2005 and 2008 I had few tickets dismissed. Nothing shows up on my driving abstract, and the court doesn't have the copies of any of the tickets anymore. According to the n-400 instructions, if the ticket is less than $500 and not DUI related, I don't need proof of payment, but I also know that sometimes they request it anyway. Will my driving abstract be sufficient?Thank you

Only the interviewing officer can determine what he/she considers sufficient.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

If you were not arrested for the traffic violations, and those violations were not alcohol or drug related, you do not need to worry about it. You can take your driving abstract, and demonstrate it if they ask you about it.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova

Be sure to advise the officer at your N-400 interview . Explain that you have "citations" and you paid the tickets, etc. Bring proof of all payments as well as all certified copies of your dispositions. I agree with my colleague - the officer will inform you what you need and has latitiude to ask for proof of your paid tickets. You are correct that they should not bar you from approval so long as not related to drugs/alcohol but that is your burden to show that.

No attorney-client relationship is created or implied by this communication in any way. Consult a competent immigration attorney preferably one who is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA).

The problem I have is that the court doesn't have copies of my dispositions. I was told that they only keep copies for 5 years. That's why I'm a little worried, I'd like to bring it with me to the interview, but there's no way for me to get these documents. Hopefully they won't ask for it. Thank you for your help.

DUI topics

Recommended articles about DUI