Naturalization Interview Question.

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

My naturalization interview is coming up. On my application I did not disclose my traffic tickets, because I didn't understand the question. I realized after mailing the application that even small traffic tickets should have been disclosed.I will mention it at the interview, but I don't have any records/copies of the tickets and/or proof of payment. I paid one $180 speeding ticket about 10 years ago,and between 2005 and 2008 I had few tickets dismissed. Nothing shows up on my driving abstract, and the court doesn't have the copies of any of the tickets anymore. According to the n-400 instructions, if the ticket is less than $500 and not DUI related, I don't need proof of payment, but I also know that sometimes they request it anyway. Will my driving abstract be sufficient?Thank you

1. Alena Shautsova

Pro

1

12

Answered . If you were not arrested for the traffic violations, and those violations were not alcohol or drug related, you do not need to worry about it. You can take your driving abstract, and demonstrate it if they ask you about it.

2. J Charles Ferrari

2

1

Answered . Only the interviewing officer can determine what he/she considers sufficient.

3. Geoffrey Alan Hoffman

1

1

Answered . Be sure to advise the officer at your N-400 interview . Explain that you have "citations" and you paid the tickets, etc. Bring proof of all payments as well as all certified copies of your dispositions. I agree with my colleague - the officer will inform you what you need and has latitiude to ask for proof of your paid tickets. You are correct that they should not bar you from approval so long as not related to drugs/alcohol but that is your burden to show that.