Naturalization Certificate for Marriage based Green card processing

Asked 9 months ago - Dallas, TX

Hello Lawyers, I know this is a requirement to have naturalization certificate for filling marriage based green card for a spouse but is it a mandatory document? Or US citizen's passport will do ? If it's a mandatory document and if we have to reapply it then how long will it take to come ? Thank you so much in advance for all of yours response. :) Appreciate your time.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 3

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . A valid US passport issued in your name is MORE than sufficient proof of your US citizenship. You do not need to provide the copy of your certificate of naturalization. It is usually either, or, but not both.

    Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that... more
  2. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No, it is not mandatory. A US passport is also proof of US citizenship.

    Please see

    Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all... more
  3. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I don't think it's required. Largely the nat certificate is used to prove your US citizenship, which can now be done with your passport if you have one. It's best to order another nat certificate if you lost it just to have for use in the future, or in case USCIS wants to see it for some reason, but you can use your passport to prove your citizenship. That said, there are a couple questions on the immigration forms which ask for nat certificate-specific information (the number, place of issuance) which you'll need to answer, so if you have that jotted down somewhere, it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Otherwise, probably best to order before going further. The process usually takes 4-7 months, but it can vary greatly.

    The answer given here is based solely on the facts provided, which may be incomplete, and is intended for general... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,351 answers this week

3,598 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,351 answers this week

3,598 attorneys answering