Naturalization and I-485 filing

Asked 12 months ago - Flushing, NY

Hello, My wife is in the naturalization process and her interview has been scheduled for June 3rd. I am waiting for her to become a citizen and file I-485 for me. My question is, when should we file the application for I-485? Should we submit the application right after she finds out that she passes the test?

Thank you!

1. Gintare Grigaite

Answered . If you are eligible, you may file as soon as she is sworn in as a US citizen. You will also need to include a copy of her Naturalization Certificate. I highly recommend that you hire an experienced immigration lawyer to assist you with the adjustment of status process.

2. Tracie Lynn Klinke

Answered . You can file the same day she becomes a U.S. citizen - that will be the date of her swearing-in. She'll receive a certificate of naturalization, which you have to include in your application. Good luck to you both!

3. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . After she has been sworn in.