Skip to main content

Naturalization and I-485 filing

Flushing, NY |

Hello, My wife is in the naturalization process and her interview has been scheduled for June 3rd. I am waiting for her to become a citizen and file I-485 for me. My question is, when should we file the application for I-485? Should we submit the application right after she finds out that she passes the test?

Thank you!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If you are eligible, you may file as soon as she is sworn in as a US citizen. You will also need to include a copy of her Naturalization Certificate. I highly recommend that you hire an experienced immigration lawyer to assist you with the adjustment of status process.

Contact immigration lawyer Gintare Grigaite, Esq. of Grigaite & Abdelsayed, LLC at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey, for a consultation about your immigration case. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.


You can file the same day she becomes a U.S. citizen - that will be the date of her swearing-in. She'll receive a certificate of naturalization, which you have to include in your application. Good luck to you both!

This general advice does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in discussing this situation further, call 678-713-4255 for a consultation.


After she has been sworn in.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer