Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I have married a U.S. citizen and i got my green card 6 months, but he cheated on me and I separated. I am marrying to another guy that is US citizen, if I marry to new guy , can I get my naturalization after three years or because I divorce the first guy , i can apply for naturalization 5 years later?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Yes you can You can apply after three years if your current husband is a USC too.

  2. Christian Schmidt

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . If you have been granted conditional resident status, you must first become a permanent resident. In the next step you can apply for citizenship once you lived for three years continuously in marrital union with a US citizen. Otherwise you must wait 5 years.

  3. Gintare Grigaite

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . If your second marriage is in good faith, then you have to be sponsored again, and will be able to apply for US citizenship after 3 years of getting your green card.

    Contact immigration attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey. Contact... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Citizenship: How to become a US citizen

In order to become US citizens and enjoy the benefits that citizenship grants, immigrants must go through the naturalization process.

Scott Thomas Helsper

Citizenship Through NaturalizationI

Naturalization is the process in which a person not born in the United States becomes a U.S. citizen. For more than 200 years, the United States has remained strong because of its citizens... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,982 answers this week

3,178 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,982 answers this week

3,178 attorneys answering