Skip to main content

Name change

Everett, WA |
Filed under: Birth certificate

how do i go about changing my daughters name?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Name Changes are filed in District Court, in the county where your daughter resides. Generally, a Petition for Name Change and an Order for Name Change must be completed. You will need to contact the District Court in the county where you reside in order to obtain the needed forms.

Contact information for all County Courts is available in the Washington Court Directory (see below).

Name Change fees vary depending upon the county and possibly on the number of persons named on the Petition. You will need to contact your county District Court in order to determine the exact fees. You can expect that once the Petition has been completed, the case will be presented to a judge for approval and signature.

Once the name change has been approved, if you wish to change your birth certificate, and if you were born in Washington State, you will need to send certified copies of all the completed paperwork to:

Department of Health
Center for Health Statistics
P.O. Box 9709
Olympia, WA 98507-9709


Mr. Hein is correct, but I'd ask first why you want the change. Are you removing someone from her birth certificate? Changing her name to Dad's? How old is she? Are you nad Dad married? You can't just file paperwork and expect the Court to do as you asked without cause, so I'd need more facts before sending you off to the clerk's office. Good luck to you!

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer