NAFTA Professional seeking TN Visa,Is it possible to send my documentation to a Treaty officer at the border via mail/email etc?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

I am a NAFTA professional seeking a TN VISA, my F1 OPT expires in August and I need to know if I can avoid going to the border to send my TN documents. I have all my required documentation, I just want to know if I can simply send my documentation to the border to have it approved. Thank You

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Rajesh Nakchhed Prasad

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Are you from Mexico or Canada? A Canadian or Mexican national can change their status from F-1 to TN within the US by filing a Form I-129 with the Vermont Service Center. Once the status is changed to TN, the difference is in the travel, a Canadian will not need a TN visa after change of status where as a Mexican national will have to obtain TN visa. A Canadian national has to physically go to the border to obtain a TN status. A Mexican national must apply for TN visa with the US consulate.

  2. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . No. You either must process at the border, or you must file for change of status with USCIS.

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  3. Tripti Sharad Sharma

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,415 answers this week

2,934 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,415 answers this week

2,934 attorneys answering