NAFTA Professional seeking TN Visa,Is it possible to send my documentation to a Treaty officer at the border via mail/email etc?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

I am a NAFTA professional seeking a TN VISA, my F1 OPT expires in August and I need to know if I can avoid going to the border to send my TN documents. I have all my required documentation, I just want to know if I can simply send my documentation to the border to have it approved. Thank You

1. Rajesh Nakchhed Prasad

1

Answered . Are you from Mexico or Canada? A Canadian or Mexican national can change their status from F-1 to TN within the US by filing a Form I-129 with the Vermont Service Center. Once the status is changed to TN, the difference is in the travel, a Canadian will not need a TN visa after change of status where as a Mexican national will have to obtain TN visa. A Canadian national has to physically go to the border to obtain a TN status. A Mexican national must apply for TN visa with the US consulate.

2. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . No. You either must process at the border, or you must file for change of status with USCIS.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.

3. Tripti Sharad Sharma

Answered . I agree with my colleagues.