NAFTA Professional seeking TN Visa,Is it possible to send my documentation to a Treaty officer at the border via mail/email etc?

San Diego, CA |
Filed under: Immigration US visas

I am a NAFTA professional seeking a TN VISA, my F1 OPT expires in August and I need to know if I can avoid going to the border to send my TN documents. I have all my required documentation, I just want to know if I can simply send my documentation to the border to have it approved. Thank You

Are you from Mexico or Canada? A Canadian or Mexican national can change their status from F-1 to TN within the US by filing a Form I-129 with the Vermont Service Center. Once the status is changed to TN, the difference is in the travel, a Canadian will not need a TN visa after change of status where as a Mexican national will have to obtain TN visa. A Canadian national has to physically go to the border to obtain a TN status. A Mexican national must apply for TN visa with the US consulate.

No. You either must process at the border, or you must file for change of status with USCIS.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

I agree with my colleagues.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.