N400 withdrawal letter. Is this ok?

Asked 5 months ago - Grand Rapids, MI

Below is my n400 withdrawal letter that I am due to send shortly. As the letter states. Missing above the start of this is all my personal details such as receipt # and USCIS #.
Is this satisfactory?

Attn: USCIS Officer,
I would like to withdraw my N-400 application for naturalization. I understand that when in the process of applying for naturalization, I may not leave the US until it’s completion. Due to work commitments placing me in the UK, I cannot fulfill this prerequisite, so it is in my best interests to reapply when I return to the US from this trip.

I understand the implications of this with regards to a non-refundable application fee paid in January 2014.

Please can you confirm that you have received this request for N-400 withdrawal of application.

Kind Regards,

1. Geoffrey Alan Hoffman

4

1

Answered . This letter shows the difficulty of trying to do cases without any counsel. Get a consultation at least with qualified counsel and see what your options are. You are assuming that you cannot meet your physical presence requirement and perhaps you cannot; but first you need to discuss with counsel who needs to review your entire record. Furthermore, there may be options available to you considering how much time you may have spent outside the U.S. previously. Finally, an attorney can help for example with a re-entry permit or other issues if you need to leave the country for work-related reasons. Get help now.

No attorney-client relationship is created or implied by this communication.
  2. Michael Hugh Carlin

3

1

Answered . I don't agree with your reason for withdrawing. There is no such requirement to remain in the US while your application is pending. I have had several clients who have traveled extensively outside the US while their N-400's have been pending, and we disclosed their travel, of course, to USCIS, and their cases were approved, and they are now US Citizens.

3. Mani Khavajian

2

1

Answered . I agree. Contact an immigration attorney as you may not need to withdraw your application.

This is general information and not legal advice. This communication does not create a lawyer-client relationship.
  4. Gunda Johanna Brost

Pro

3

1

Answered . There is no need to stay in the US so you shouldn't have to withdraw the application based on this reason.

5. Russell Reid Abrutyn

Pro

1

Answered . You should speak with an attorney because you may be able to accomplish all your goals.

6. Aggie Rachel Hoffman

2

Answered . For specific advice you should consult an immigration lawyer. This site is for general information on immigration law.

7. Emily Reber-Mariniello

Pro

1

1

Answered . Unless you don't want to Naturalize, don't withdraw your petition. I agree with the other attorneys that there is no requirement to be in the US while your application is pending (you may be confusing that with other application types). Further, if the USCIS thinks you are not eligible, or finds that you have abandoned your application by leaving, they will either request more info and then make a determination, or administratively close your application. Best to leave it open, and give an immigration attorney a ring.