N400 spouse part

Asked over 1 year ago - Albany, NY

My husband and I have been married since 2005 and we are still married. He is communicating well most of the time but when I tell him I want to be a citizen like him and my daughter, he thinks it is not necessary for me now and he doesn't want to give me his citizen date and place information to write on the form. I am not filling it because of being a citizen spouse, I am filling it because of being here more than 5 years. I wrote unknown for his two information. Do you think I should put an explanation letter or just write unknown and if they ask, Then explain it with a letter or at the interview. I don't want my application to be rejected so that is why I am asking about that. There is not an instruction to put an explanation letter on that part but I was just thinking in case.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . If you're filing based on your having been a green card holder for more than five years, it's okay if you put "unknown "for your husband's date of naturalization. It would also be okay to put "cannot be determined at this time" . You can either attach an addendum to form N-400 explaining, or explain in person during the interview That your husband is withholding that information from you, because you suspect he does not want you to become a citizen.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  2. Karen-Lee Pollak

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . If you are filing based on 5 yrs LPR it should be fine writing info about your husband as unknown. Also attachan explanation and underscore you are applyingbased on your 5yr time asan LPR

  3. John Grayson Davidson

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Ms. Pollack is correct. Put unknown.

    Free Consultation Anywhere in USA | 626-399-4194 |ICannHelpYouNow.com | John1Davidson@gmail.com

Related Topics

US citizenship

In order to become US citizens and enjoy the benefits that citizenship grants, immigrants must go through the naturalization process.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,764 answers this week

2,905 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,764 answers this week

2,905 attorneys answering