N400 Question on Parking Citation

Walnut, CA |

I am finalizing my application for citizenship on the basis of 5 yrs as LPR, i found out in my old files that i had a street cleaning citation way back in 2002. Do i need to answer yes on the question, have you been arrested, detained, cited..etc.etc. and explain what the citation was for? thanks in advance for your advise.

That would be the best practice, and also to have proof that you paid all associated fines.

Contact immigration attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey. Contact immigration attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. for a free consultation about new Immigration Reform policies. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.

Answer yes, include an explanation. If you have it now, include proof you satisfied the citation or that you cannot get this proof (the records were destroyed and no record can be found) If you do not have it now, you can still file now but use the next few months to get that proof for your interview.

Under the guidelines set by AVVO, this response is general information only and not specific legal advice, and no attorney client relationship is formed by this response to your question.

I thought if the citation fine is less than $500.00 you do not have to include documentation. the citation fine was $ 40.00..Your thoughts please.thanks.

Cynthia Beth Rosenberg

Cynthia Beth Rosenberg

It depends on local office practice. In Baltimore and DC, not paying a parking ticket will keep you from natzing until you provide proof of satisfying the ticket. This has been made clear in AILA liaison meetings with those district directors.

okay thanks, i will just include proof of payment to be safe.