N400 post divorcewith 5 year base

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

Hi all,
got my temp green card in feb 06, filled for i 751 in feb 08, approved without interview,,
we filled for divorce in sept of 2011 and finalized in may of 2012.. i wan to apply for my n400. will my divorce be an issue? we were a young couple.. kinda careless.. we didnt keep much paperwork

1. J Charles Ferrari

2

Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

2. Philip Alan Eichorn

3

Answered . The divorce can be raised during naturalization proceedings pursuant to INA 318.

3. Kevin Lawrence Dixler

2

Answered . I agree. However, the fact that you are filing after five years of permanent resident status may also have a favorable impact. Either way, it is best to have a witness in the form of an attorney, who not only helps you with the N-400, but prepares you for the examination in case issues about the marriage arise. Good luck.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.