N400 citizenship application.

Asked 7 months ago - White Plains, NY

I went to my citizenship interview in Newark NJ and was told that my case will require further review before they make a decision. The next day after my interview, I checked the case status online and it says that the officer sent me a request for evidence. I waited more than three weeks, and still nothing came in the mail. Now, my online case status has changed to request for evidence received, even though I never received their request for evidence in the mail and I never sent them any evidence.

Attorney answers (5)

  1. David Michael Gottfried

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should schedule an info pass appointment. https://infopass.uscis.gov//

  2. Irene Vaisman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I would go back there and see if you can speak with the officer that conducted the interview to make sure you have not missed anything. It would be helpful if you printed the on-line messages, but I understand that you may have not, especially that first one indicating that the request for RFE was sent. If you do not get anywhere, you may need an attorney to intervene.

    This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created.
  3. Diane Rae Chappell-Daly

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It is good that you followed up by checking online. I would recommend that you contact the USCIS office where you were interviewed to let them know that you have not received the request for evidence and request that they send another one to you. Make sure that USCIS has your correct address. If you move file Form AR-11 AND contact the USCIS district office where your naturalization application is pending.

  4. Jeffrey Mitchell Binder

    Contributor Level 6


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . All the above answers are good, I would just add one thing to them: that is, document everything you are doing, send USCIS a letter in addition to calling and possibly visiting the Newark office. Put as much in writing as possible.

  5. Rachel Claire Zoghlin

    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I would schedule an infopass appointment. It may also be worthwhile to submit a FOIA request to USCIS for your full "A-file." The FOIA request may reveal what is causing the hold-up. Good luck!

    This information is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice, or establish an... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

US citizenship

In order to become US citizens and enjoy the benefits that citizenship grants, immigrants must go through the naturalization process.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

21,189 answers this week

2,691 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

21,189 answers this week

2,691 attorneys answering