N400 - Working overseas after the fingerprinting step

Asked over 1 year ago - Richmond, VA

I filed for my citizenship based on having my GC for 10+ years. My N400 application went into the interview scheduling stage on 4/29, but at the same time there is something unexpected going on that I need some input on. I got an offer for a job that will move us to the U.K for the short term; we won’t be leaving for another 2-3 months. Will the move pose any problems if I fly in for my interview or the oath ceremony? I currently meet all the requirements and really hoping that all this gets wrapped up before we take off, but if it doesn’t, I am planning on filing the N-470 and simply coming back for the interview and the oath. We will still have our house here/primary residence, but I am not sure if me taking a job in the U.K will disqualify me or pose any problems. A

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Look, these types of scenarios are best run by an immigration attorney, not on AVVO.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866)... more
  2. Jennifer Sheethel Varughese


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The short answer is, no, the job in and of itself wouldn't pose a problem as long as you meet all of the other requirements and it's, as you say, short term. It's best to speak with an immigration attorney, however, to review all the possible scenarios including whether you would even need an N-470.

    Disclaimer: This answer is for informational purposes and does not take the place of a consultation with an... more
  3. Peter Anthony Jabaly


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I would recommend consulting with an immigration attorney regarding the risks involved with a green card holder leaving the United States before becoming a citizen.

    The answer provided is for general information purposes and cannot be relied upon. In order to provide legal... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

US citizenship

In order to become US citizens and enjoy the benefits that citizenship grants, immigrants must go through the naturalization process.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,293 answers this week

3,461 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,293 answers this week

3,461 attorneys answering