Skip to main content

N400 - I dont remember all the places where I have lived or when I did. I only use 2 permanent addresses, would that be okay?

Monroe, LA |

I have basically lived in 10 different places, all less than a year with each other. I don't remember the dates or even the addresses that I used. I did have two permanent addresses, would that be okay?

Attorney Answers 4


Don't create confusion or needless complications .. Do your best to "guesstimate" the dates and places in question. It's an "honor" system..

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


I agree with my colleague --- the main thing is to have proper county and state as that is one way the background check is done.

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to be a legal opinion because not all the facts are provided. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney who is permitted by the state bar within the jurisdiction who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by CC Abbott does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state of Federal law.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Sometimes your credit report will assist with addresses you have lived at. Try pulling it for free online and see what you get.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


I agree with my colleagues that it is do your best system based on what you have. However, it is better to rely on some paper trail you left throughout the years than very vague or possible conflicting information from what has been gathered on you. There are a number of documentary trails you can track. In general, N-400 should be a straightforward application and can be done by applicants themselves. However, depending on each person's own situation, it can be quite dangerous to do it on your own. It can come down as simple as entering your past addresses.

This answer does not establish any client-attorney relationship. Please do consult with an immigration attorney with more details to evaluate your individual situation. My phone number 504-324-2280. Email:

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics