Skip to main content

N-470 Uninterrupted One Year For Missionaries Rule Change?

Round Rock, TX |

If I am applying for the N-470 on the basis of being a Missionary, are the rules any different regarding the uninterrupted year physically present in the U.S.? I ask because on the "Instructions for form N-470" (Rev. 01/31/11) it states that "The regulations are different for religious workers... They are not required to have lived in the United States for a specific period of time prior to filing form N-470." Is this a change in the rules or am I misinterpreting this statement to mean that the "1 year physically present without interruptions" rule does not apply to N-470 applicants whose application is based on religious work?

Attorney Answers 4


The latter.

Please see

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

11 lawyers agree


People who are designated to work for a religious organization as defined in the N-470 are able to preserve their residency requirements for purposes of presence within the US for naturalization even if the religious worker is outside the US for more than a year. This is a rule that is in place for religious workers as a form of public policy exemption.

The test for qualifying is to have a actual religious organization in the US that is recognized by the Federal Government. Before using the N-470 it is best to ahve an experienced immigration attorney review the facts of your case and provide a legal opinion 0 s to the sue of the N-470. Good luck.

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to be a legal opinion because not all the facts are provided. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney who is permitted by the state bar within the jurisdiction who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by CC Abbott does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state of Federal law.

Mark as helpful

1 comment



Thank you so much for your quick response. I am however, still a little confused about the need to have completed one year of continuos uninterrupted presence in the US prior to filing form N-470.


te regulartions are different for religious workers. specifically, go the the uscis website and look for the faq sheet for your application

The advice that I give in each answer or legal is not intended to take the place of an in person consultation. A complete answer takes an in depth interview. After all, it is a life that is at stake. If you are in another city that I do not service ask me and I might be able to recommend you an attorney there. In general, in Houston, I recommend Adan Vega or Bruce Coane, Specialists. In Dallas I recommend Richard Fernandez or Yong Wood highly skilled and experienced.

Mark as helpful


I agree with my colleagues.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Mark as helpful

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics