N-470 Uninterrupted One Year For Missionaries Rule Change?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Round Rock, TX

If I am applying for the N-470 on the basis of being a Missionary, are the rules any different regarding the uninterrupted year physically present in the U.S.? I ask because on the "Instructions for form N-470" (Rev. 01/31/11) it states that "The regulations are different for religious workers... They are not required to have lived in the United States for a specific period of time prior to filing form N-470." Is this a change in the rules or am I misinterpreting this statement to mean that the "1 year physically present without interruptions" rule does not apply to N-470 applicants whose application is based on religious work?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

11

1

Best Answer

Answered . The latter.

Please see

2. Thomas Esparza Jr.

Pro

Answered . te regulartions are different for religious workers. specifically, go the the uscis website and look for the faq sheet for your application

3. C. C. Abbott

Answered . People who are designated to work for a religious organization as defined in the N-470 are able to preserve their residency requirements for purposes of presence within the US for naturalization even if the religious worker is outside the US for more than a year. This is a rule that is in place for religious workers as a form of public policy exemption.

The test for qualifying is to have a actual religious organization in the US that is recognized by the Federal Government. Before using the N-470 it is best to ahve an experienced immigration attorney review the facts of your case and provide a legal opinion 0 s to the sue of the N-470. Good luck.

4. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . I agree with my colleagues.