N-470 and preserving continuous residence

Asked over 2 years ago - San Francisco, CA

I am a green card holder (permanent resident) of the United States. I am working abroad for a US employer on a N-470 which preserves my continuous residence for citizenship purposes. That employer is doing badly and will likely lay me off.

Can I pursue an opportunity with another US-based employer also abroad (where I am currently) and get them to file a N-470 on my behalf?

Is there anything that prevents back-to-back N-470 applications in this manner? Is my presence in the USA required while filing the N-470?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. James A. Bach


    Contributor Level 8


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . It is true that you must have had a continuous year of physical presence in the U.S., but you must have already fulfilled that requirement to get the first N-470.

    It is not true that you have to file the N-470 before you leave the U.S. You can file the N-470 after leaving the U.S. and even after you have started the employment abroad, but it has to be filed within one year of departure from the U.S.

    You can therefore file the second N-470 without returning to the U.S. if you have been out of the U.S. for less than a year.

    This is only a preliminary response to an inquiry, based on incomplete information. Helpful advice and counsel... more
  2. Robert West

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Not aware of any but you should consult with a lawyer that handles many of these type of cases.

  3. Gen Kimura

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . You have to file N-470 before you leave the U.S., and you must prove that you had spent one year continuously in the U.S. as a permanent resident.

    This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice.... more
  4. Rebekah Bell Rodriguez

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . If all else fails, read the form instructions to determine if you can transfer employers. Otherwise, I say you should be here at least one year (in the US).

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Carl Michael Shusterman

How to Renew your Green Card

Renewing your Green Card, or Permanent Resident Card, is important. If you have an expired Green Card you may be denied re-entry into the United States. You could also be charged with a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

21,937 answers this week

2,946 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

21,937 answers this week

2,946 attorneys answering