N-470 and preserving continuous residence

Asked over 2 years ago - San Francisco, CA

I am a green card holder (permanent resident) of the United States. I am working abroad for a US employer on a N-470 which preserves my continuous residence for citizenship purposes. That employer is doing badly and will likely lay me off.

Can I pursue an opportunity with another US-based employer also abroad (where I am currently) and get them to file a N-470 on my behalf?

Is there anything that prevents back-to-back N-470 applications in this manner? Is my presence in the USA required while filing the N-470?

1. James A. Bach

Pro

1

Best Answer

Answered . It is true that you must have had a continuous year of physical presence in the U.S., but you must have already fulfilled that requirement to get the first N-470.

It is not true that you have to file the N-470 before you leave the U.S. You can file the N-470 after leaving the U.S. and even after you have started the employment abroad, but it has to be filed within one year of departure from the U.S.

You can therefore file the second N-470 without returning to the U.S. if you have been out of the U.S. for less than a year.

2. Robert West

Answered . Not aware of any but you should consult with a lawyer that handles many of these type of cases.

3. Gen Kimura

Answered . You have to file N-470 before you leave the U.S., and you must prove that you had spent one year continuously in the U.S. as a permanent resident.

4. Rebekah Bell Rodriguez

Answered . If all else fails, read the form instructions to determine if you can transfer employers. Otherwise, I say you should be here at least one year (in the US).