N-400 was denied for an "Aggravated Felony" but I was not detained.

I was just wondering if and when I can be pickd up by USCIS? I was denied my application for Naturalization but at the interview, I was not detained. I'm thinking because they did not detain me there but instead denied me through a mailed document. Any ideas on what may be happening behind the scenes?

West Palm Beach, FL -

Jeffrey Adam Devore

Jeffrey Adam Devore

Immigration Attorney - West Palm Beach, FL

USCIS does not detain aliens. That is a function of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). A denial by mail is the standard method in which an application for naturalization is denied. Whether the agency decides to initiate removal proceedings against you depends upon a number of factors, including work load, why you are removable, how long you have been a resident and other equities. There is no definitive time frame. It is not uncommon for proceedings to be initiated many years after the denial of an application.

Since you are removable by your own admissions for an aggravated felony you should consult with an immigration attorney who can review your case and advise you of any possible options for relief.

Ask your questions on our Q&A forum. It's free and anonymous.

Need to find an attorney? Browse our lawyer directory.