Skip to main content

N-400 citizenship good moral character questions 15-21 confused!!!!!

Stamford, CT |

Hello , i am just about to send my application n - 400 for citizenship but i am a bit confused about the Good moral Character questions 15 - 21 . in the summer of 1996 i was arrested for DWAI in NY and spent 3 hours in jail . my license was suspended for 90 days and i had to pay a fine of $ 350 . i have obtained a certificate of Conviction that states the following : Section Charged VTL 1192 - 2 , Section Disposed VTL 1192 - 2 Ticket No & Description LB782020 - 1 BAC< . 010 ( UM ) , Disposition : DIMS Do i need to answer yes to all the questions ( 15 - 21 ) ? ? ? ? thanks in advance for your help .

Attorney Answers 6

  1. you have to disclose the arrest and provide the disposition. If unsure, take the disposition and your papers to an attorney to help you

    This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

  2. It appears that you would have to answer affirmatively to those questions (except for questions 19 and 20). However, your inquiry as to how you should answer questions on the N-400 constitutes a request for legal advice, which attorneys can only responsibly provide through a professional consultation. Thus, you should consult an attorney. Many of us offer free consultations. In addition, I always recommend that foreign nationals use a lawyer to apply for an immigration benefit since the benefit for outweighs the cost. Some people apply for an immigration benefit and end up in Removal proceedings. Don't add to that statistic. The fee for a lawyer is reasonable, and the stakes are too high to go it alone.

    If you appreciate the time spent preparing this answer, kindly consider marking it BEST ANSWER or HELPFUL. Good luck to you.

    Dean P. Murray
    The Murray Law Firm
    560 Sylvan Avenue
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
    (Office located within minutes of the George Washington Bridge)
    T: (201)875-2600
    F: (201)549-8700

    Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.

  3. Yes, you will need to disclose the incident. Please ask a lawyer to help you with your application. A little mistake can cost you a lot down the road.

    Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney Blog:

  4. When filing any USCIS application, it is best to err on the side of caution - that is, saying "Yes" to questions about criminal offenses. You can then explain it in the application (hand write it if necessary) and at your interview. Bring a certified copy of the disposition of every crime. IF YOU COMMITTED A SERIOUS CRIME for which a green card holder may be deported, it is advisable that you do not file an N-400. It does not sound like that is the case here. When in doubt, contact a lawyer directly.

    You should always consult with an experienced immigration attorney to make certain that the advice you received is appropriate for your particular immigration case.

  5. Attorney Vaisman deserves the best answer for the question. I agree with her.

  6. Disclose the arrest and provide the certified copy of the disposition

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics