N-400 and name change

New York, NY |

I requested a name change in my N-400 application. I heard differing stories regarding how this impacted the oath of allegiance. Will I be able to attend the regular oath ceremony with everyone else, or will I have a separate oath of allegiance with a judge?

Your name change will not affect it. You will have the ceremony along with everyone else. The ceremony is a judicial proceeding, so you will take care of both issues at the same time.

This answer is not to be construed as legal advice.

2. In essence you are asking for gossip on general information legal forum. I am not sure we can satisfy this request.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

3. You heard wrong. With or without the name change, which is free when filing for citizenship, you will attend the oath ceremonies at the same time as everyone else who applied for citizenship.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

4. Good for you you are actually checking with immigration attorneys rather than relying on random rumors. No, this is not the case.

Gunda J. Brost Brost Law Office This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.