N-400 form. Selective Service questions.

I moved to US in 1998 when I was 21 years old and was a "VISA overstayer" until I was 32., I'm now 37. I'm finally eligible to apply for citizenship after 5 years of being granted permanent residency. How does this "Selective Service" thing apply to me? Question 46 on the N400 form says: Are you a male who lived int the US at any time between your 18th and 26th birthday? Should I say Yes or No? If yes is the right answer, what should I do about the registration with the selective service since I had no idea I needed to register? Regards.

Boca Raton, FL -

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

Immigration Attorney - New York, NY

No. You must have been an LPR to register when you were under 24 years of age.

Maria Vladimirovna Davydova

Maria Vladimirovna Davydova

Immigration Attorney - Winter Garden, FL

It is asking whether you were a permanent resident in the US between your 18th and 26th birthday. Although you were in the United States, if you did not have permanent resident status during those dates, it does not apply to you.

Gunda Johanna Brost

Gunda Johanna Brost

Immigration Attorney - Cedar Falls, IA

You explain that you are now beyond the age of which it is required to register for selective service.

Jeffrey Adam Devore

Jeffrey Adam Devore

Immigration Attorney - West Palm Beach, FL

Under these facts you were required to register with Selective Service if you were not maintaining lawful nonimmigrant status between the ages of 18 and 26. Generally speaking, failure to register for selective service is considered indicative of proof moral character.

However, since more than 5 years has past since the registration requirement ended (at age 26), absent extenuating circumstances, failure to register is generally speaking considered not to be disqualifying. Consult with a Board Certified Immigration Attorney for advice specific to your situation.

Aggie Rachel Hoffman

Aggie Rachel Hoffman

Immigration Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

The answer to the question is yes. However, you are now beyond the required registration age and because you were in unlawful status until 32, you were not eligible to register. It should not adversely impact your naturalization eligibility.