Skip to main content

N- 400 -My mother is 83 years old she is applying for naturalization. Her son entered USA with tourist visa but he stayed.

Jacksonville, AL |

He has not problems with the law, pay taxes and lives alone. We live in another state and my mother does not support him . He is 54 years old. Should I answer that he lives in State of New Jersey but we don't know his address in additional piece of paper? do you think it will affect mom's naturalization or my brother somehow? Oh I forgot my mom has Dementia of Alzheimer's type. She is in second stage but she still understand little bit of things and she is able to sign, can she apply for him with I-30? Thank you so much for your answers

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Once your mother naturalizes, she can file form I-130 for your brother. However, unless he is grandfathered by section 245(i), he will not be able to use your mother's 1-130 petition to apply for adjustment of status. Your brother should consult with an experienced immigration attorney to properly understand the process. Also, the waiting period can be from 7 to 19 years depending on where your brother was born. Good luck.

    714-560-0040. The answer provided is general in nature and because not all facts are known, it should not be construed as legal advice. The answer does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  2. If you do not know your brother's address, how are you going to file an I-130 for him?

    You need to answer all questions on the N-400 truthfully.

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts and advise you accordingly.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics