Skip to main content

My x-husband work in Vegas and gets a paycheck but he doesn't claim all his tip how do I get him to pay and he makes like 10,000

Garden Grove, CA |

We have divorce like 2 years and he always pays 160 and court order is 600

Attorney Answers 6

  1. I've shared your question with the family law forum, where your question may be seen by more attorneys who practice in this area of the law.

    *** All legal actions have time limits, called statutes of limitation. If you miss the deadline for filing your claim, you will lose the opportunity to pursue your case. Please consult with an experienced employment attorney as soon as possible to better preserve your rights. *** Marilynn Mika Spencer provides information on Avvo as a service to the public, primarily when general information may be of assistance. Avvo is not an appropriate forum for an in-depth response or a detailed analysis. These comments are for information only and should not be considered legal advice. Legal advice must pertain to specific, detailed facts. No attorney-client relationship is created based on this information exchange. *** Marilynn Mika Spencer is licensed to practice law before all state and federal courts in California, and can appear before administrative agencies throughout the country. She is eligible to represent clients in other states on a pro hac vice basis. ***

  2. My first recommendation is to speak with a local attorney to discuss the details of your situation privately and to obtain appropriate advice. If you cannot do that for some reason, and if your ex is in arrears (which is sound like he is), you can seek garnishment from his paycheck by contacting your local family court and seeking assistance for child support collection. You can find attorneys in your area by searching among the profiles here on AVVO. Good luck!

    Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.

  3. Without retaining an expert to testify about the cash tips somebody working in your former husband's line of employment would make, you are going to have to show discrepancies between tax returns, bank statements, paystubs, and expenses. By lining up the different income levels shown by each - your husband will lose his credibiilty and you will be bolster your arguments.

  4. You would have to prove his income based upon other evidence.
    A review of his financial records could help a great deal . Does he deposit cash? Pay his bills with money orders? Spend more than he makes?
    Under reporting income is a common problem. A forensic accountant would help but that is expensive. There may be enough in his financial records to prove his income. I suggest consulting with a family law attorney to get more specific information for your state
    Good luck!

    The information contained in this response is general information and is not legal advice. Nothing contained in this response should be construed as legal advice or creating an attorney-client relationship between the attorney and the reader. An attorney-client relationship may only be created by express representation agreement between Glenn Doyle of Doyle & Doyle, PA and Client.

  5. You have an order for $600 per month. That means the court has already determined he has the ability to pay that. You file a contempt action and it is his burden to show that he doesn't have the ability to pay. You subpoena his employment records and, unless his employer is assisting him with committing tax fraud, you should get the answer you need. Your case isn't big enough nor do I believe the facts merit an expert witness and you likely cannot afford one.

    Anytime a question refers to a document, whether or not filed with the court, a complete answer cannot be provided until the document is reviewed. Furthermore, nothing contained in this answer should be considered legal advice. Legal advice can only be given during a formal consultation. Our law firm offers a free consultation to prospective clients who have divorce and family law questions. Contact us by telephone or email and we can give you a more detailed answer to your question.

  6. I assume that you live in California and the divorce is in California. That creates a difficult situation in terms of evidence. California subpoena power does not run to Nevada without significant motions and applications to the court. Likewise, you have to have jurisdiction over witnesses to subpoena them.

    Your situation is like so many others. You have to ask yourself whether or not you will be putting good money to go after bad. In other words, if you were to hire a private investigator, hire an attorney, or do significant discovery, would it lead to a result that justifies the outlay of cash to attempt to prove his income.

    It is unlikely that one of the ways you can approach his income is to show what his expenses are. If he has more expenses than he claims on his income, and no corresponding debt on credit cards or loans, one might say that he earns what he spends. This is an approach that may get you sympathy, but may not be sufficient proof to show his income.

    You have not stated whether the support is spousal or child. If it is child support, you can go to the local Department of Child Support Services and have them enforce your California order for free. They have many remedies that private attorneys do not. You could do a wage assignment on his paycheck. I believe that all states have to honor a wage assignment from another state. Those are some suggestions. I would urge you to consult with an attorney, at least on a consultation basis, to see if he/she could give you other suggestions when he/she understands the facts better.

    I am a lawyer but I am not your lawyer. I am only offering general advice that is not specific to your case. For you to get advice you should consult and retain a lawyer. You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to legal advice from your attorney or other professional legal services provider. If you have any specific questions about any legal matter you should consult your attorney or other professional legal services provider. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information on this website.