Skip to main content

My wifes will passes every thing of hers to me. their is no contest from 4 children, She has no debts, our home is paid for

Toccoa, GA |

it is in both our names,where do I stars?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. It appears eveything is joint with right of survivorship.
    You just provide a death certificate where you have financial accounts
    and file a death certificate at the court house.
    Everything will then be jsut in your name.

    The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

  2. I am sorry for your loss. The best starting point is normally to see a competent estate planning attorney to determine the most efficient course of action in your case, which depending on the facts, may or may not involve a probate process. Gook luck.

  3. Start with a local lawyer. Your house may or may not already have a right of survivorship. Depending on what the will says, and what the deed says, and your tax situation, you may be doing a probate, a years support case, both, or, in rare cases, almost nothing.

    If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Wills and estates topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics