My wife will not sign her portion of the divorce pappers. What can I do?

Asked over 1 year ago - Perris, CA

Been waiting for my ex-wife to file her portion of divorce papers and she is not doing so what can I do to finalize my divorce from her?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Gregory Paul Benton

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If she has not filed a response to the Petition and Summons, then you can file for a Request For Default. If she won't sign a maritla settlement agreement or stipulation, then set the matter for a hearing and ask Judge to proceed via default or set the matter for a Trial. But, it sounds like you are stymied on knowing the correct procedures so I strongly suggest that you get an attorney.

  2. Trevor L Hensley

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . It really depends on what papers you are talking about.

    Have you personally served your wife with the petition and summons for dissolution?

    If so, has she responded?

    If she has responded do your petition and summons, what papers are you waiting for her to respond to?

    I am sorry, but more information is required before an answer can be provided.

    This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, does not... more
  3. Michael Douglas Shafer

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . File for default.

  4. Edna Carroll Straus

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . Find out why she is not signing then fix the real problem. This is a symptom.

    Ms. Straus (aka Carroll) may be reached at 800-400-8978 during regular business hours, Pacific Time, or anytime by... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,765 answers this week

3,418 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,765 answers this week

3,418 attorneys answering