My wife was served last week fora case filed Jan 12. The SOL exp. in March 12. Does the SOL defense apply? JDB suit. Riverwalk

Brentwood, CA |

The person serving the papers said that to "call the woman ( an attorney I later learned) to talk about this debt from Chase" there was no mention of my wife being sued. He never aksed who I was and I never said. he said my wife's name and i said "yes?"

No, the SOL defense wouldn't apply since the case was filed before the SOL expired.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155 (Toll Free: 888.777.5009). Our web address is: www. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.

I handle these cases all the time. You need to have a lawyer review your papers. Feel free to call me for a free consultation at 415-441-1052.

If case was filed prior to experiation of the SOL then it is not a defense, but you would generally plead it in the answer anyway.

Kevin Samuel Sullivan

Kevin Samuel Sullivan

your answer should allege every possible defense which could apply. you really should retain a lawyer to handle the lawsuit for you.

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt