My wife was just arrested for drinking and driving late tonight and is being held over night what is our next move.

Dallas, TX |

She has never committed a crime is 49 years old mother of 2 was at a sales conference and was driving home and got in an accident. no one was hurt

Your next move is to post a bond through any local bond company. Then you'll need to hire an attorney experienced in handling these cases. They are technical cases, and there are many ways to beat them. Her first deadline expires in fifteen days, so start calling attorneys immediately. Most of us offer free consultations. This will give you a chance to learn about the legal process, get a feel for how different attorneys would approach your case, and find out about fees and payment plans. There is quite a bit of information about handling DWIs in Dallas County on my website (www.macyjaggers.com). You can go there to get a good overview of how this all works. Best of luck.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at www.macyjaggers.com for more information about her services and recent victories.

Richard Timothy Jones

Richard Timothy Jones

She also needs to request her ALR hearing so that her lawyer can try to save her license. You only have 15 days to request the hearing.

Your wife needs to consult a DWI defense lawyer as soon as she can after release from jail. If you can't get her out, get a good DWI defense lawyer to go visit her.

Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing.

Richard Timothy Jones

Richard Timothy Jones

She also needs to request her ALR hearing so that her lawyer can try to save her license. You only have 15 days to request the hearing. www.austincriminaldefenseattorney.com

Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

Absolutely. But, first step of all is to get a lawyer ASAP. While the defendant can certainly follow the instructions on the paperwork and request an ALR hearing, practically speaking without an attorney's assistance at that hearing, there's not much chance of success. And, for a normal ordinary person facing their first brush with the law, it is a relief to have a lawyer handle the whole thing.

You need to get her released. Once released she will need a good lawyer. She also needs to request her ALR hearing so that her lawyer can try to save her license. You only have 15 days to request the hearing.
www.austincriminaldefenseattorney.com
Austin Probation Lawyer
Austin Jail Release and Bond Assistance
Austin DWI Lawyer
512-495-1813

My answers are intended only as general legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for a full consultation with a local experienced criminal defense attorney. For more answers based on my 19 years of experience visit my website, www.austincriminaldefenseattorney.com

First, get her released through a reputable bondsman (given that it's been a few days since you posted, I am sure you've done this.)
Second, Talk with several criminal defense attorneys in Dallas that handle DWI cases. This is a specific area of law that is not easy to just jump in to. Additionally, there is a time deadline to request an ALR hearing to try and avoid losing her drivers license. This should be done right away and a criminal defense attorney can help.
Third, know that this is a long process that requires trust in your attorney and diligence on your wife's part. She should look inward, think about whether there is any thing in her life that could be used against her (statements made to others, posts on FB or other social media) and realize that her actions are being judged.

I handle DWI cases in several counties around Texas. I'd be happy to speak with your wife about her options and how I can help.

Good luck and feel free to contact me.

Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing

Traffic tickets topics