My wife was in an automobile accident 3 years ago.Today we were served papers that we are being sued.Should we get our on lawyer

Asked over 1 year ago - Columbia, SC

Car was fully insured. Wife was at fault. Person is suing me also for negligence. Car was mechanically sound and wife was coming home from work. Wife was not speeding, not drinking, etc, just made a mistake. We have contacted our insurance company. Person suing us is asking for jury trial...? It has been over 3 years and we heard nothing until today. We were married at time both covered. I was not in car, I was home with our baby. Not sure how or why I am involved. Should I retain an attorney in addition to our insurance company lawyer? Is their limitations also on this as it was over 3 years ago? Thank you for any and all advice.

1. Bradford Andrews

7

Best Answer

Answered . The lawyer that your insurance company provides will advise you on all of your questions. The dispositive date for calculating the statute of limitations (3 years in your case) is the filing date on the complaint. If you have a defense based on the expiration of the statute of limitations, you insurance lawyer will raise it in his answer to the complaint. The jury trial request is standard language in an auto accident complaint.

2. Larry Alan Apfelbaum

10

Answered . In this situation your insurance will usually hire an attorney for you and they will know what the statue of lmitations is on the claim. If the damages being claimed are greater than the amount of insurance you purchased however you may wish to consult an attorney to discuss your options.

Pro

9

Answered . Your insurance company will provide a lawyer to defend.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  4. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

Pro

7

Answered . Turn the claim to your insurance company. They assign a lawyer to you who defend the case. Do not worry about hiring a lawyer until the insurance company lawyer tells you thatthere is a risk that your policy may not be sufficient to cover the plaintiff's demand. Best of luck.

5. Howard Robert Roitman

Pro

2

Answered . Many people hire a lawyer with no prior experience as to how the legal system works. It is highly complex, and the timeline from start to finish can be long and emotionally challenging.
    An insurance policy normally requires an insured to provide his or her insurer with prompt notice of any claim or lawsuit. Once the insurer receives notice, it triggers the insurer's duty to investigate and/or defend its insured.
    Sometimes, an insurer does not receive notice of suit pending against its insured until after a default judgment has been entered. If the failure to receive notice is a result of the insured's breach of the notice provision, the insured's breach may relieve the insurer of its obligation to defend.A small number of jurisdictions continue to support the traditional view that the insured's inexcusable or unreasonable delay in giving notice of suit or the insured's failure to forward suit papers relieves an insurer of its obligation to defend. So, get the papers to the insurance company. It's their job to take care of it.