My wife was given a TRO for the 2nd time, I dropped it the first time ,this time I want to keep it enforced,

Asked over 1 year ago - New Egypt, NJ

I want to to stay enforced until we can talk to someone and work out issues and the divorce is over with..what do I need to do to make sure that Its keeped enforced .

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Yolanda Navarrete

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The court will schedule a hearing and decide whether or not to grant a final restraining order.

    973-984-0800. Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely... more
  2. Melissa A Fecak

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I am not sure I understand your question. You say your wife was given a TRO, but you dropped it. Do you mean you had a TRO against your wife? If you are seeking a Final Restraining Order(FRO), a hearing should have been scheduled within 10 days of when the TRO was entered. Following the hearing, the Judge will determine whether a FRO will be entered. You may also enter into a Consent Order which has Civil Restraints. Following a hearing, a FRO may not be granted, so by entering a Consent Order you may be granted some of the same protections as a FRO.
    You should speak with an attorney to assist you with you. Best of luck to you.

    This answer is being made for informational purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice. By responding to... more
  3. Jeffrey Alan Kerstetter

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Agreeing with both of the above, if it is the case that you want to convert your TRO into an FRO, you should have received notice of a court date which would generally be scheduled within ten days of the entry of the initial TRO. If you did not receive this, you should reach out to the court immediately or your TRO may be dropped when you do not appear to support it.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,842 answers this week

2,865 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,842 answers this week

2,865 attorneys answering