My wife was arrested last month for filing a false police report. Because of my income, she does not qualify for public defender

Asked 7 months ago - Sabina, OH

With my current finacial condition, I have not been able to come up with the money to pay for a Lawyer. The Pre-trial is on 3/26/2014 and I don't know what to do. First of all, she never sighned a police report. She only inquired about looking into abandonment of her neice, who was living with us at that time, by her mother. My wife made an verbal agreement with the mother that her neice could finish the school year in our school district. The problem was we did not have the right to pick her up from school because we were not on the list to be able to do so. The Police officer determined that, since there was a verbal aggreement, that the mother had fullfilled her duties and that we had wasted his time and placed my wife under arrest. Further more, he never read her rights!

1. James Lyle Dye Jr.

2

Answered . I hate seeing questions like this because of the answer, but here it is: She Needs a Lawyer. I'm sorry you don't think you can afford it, but if you've been denied a court appointed lawyer you must find one for her.

This site is a lot like Web MD and that type. You can get advice, learn what the maimum penalties are etc..... but in the end, you can't prescribe your own meds and and you can't perfor surgery.

You NEED a qualified criminal defense attorney. While this offense is relatively minor, in that she probably isn't looking at significant jail time if any, it is an offense of dishonesty which will greatly impact her employment and oother prospects in the future.

Do what ever you have to. Beg, Borrow, Barter or sell your toys. She is your wife and it is your duty to provide her with the best defense there is.

2. David Herman Hirsch

Answered . Look for an attorney that you can work out a payment plan with . You absolutely need a criminal law attorney to represent your wife given the circumstances you describe. Use the Find a Lawyer tab on Avvo to find local attorneys to consult with.... Best of luck to you and your wife...

THESE COMMENTS MUST NOT BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE. Comments made on websites such as Avvo.com are provided for information purposes only, and you should not base a decision to act or refrain from acting based upon this answer. The only way to determine how the law may apply to your particular situation is to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. That relationship is established by the execution of a written agreement for legal services. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

3. Rixon Charles Rafter III

Answered . Suggest you borrow money from family or friends and do whatever it takes to hire an attorney.

Police are not required to give Miranda rights, common misunderstanding from TV shows.