My wife used my credit card without permission over the phone and online to pay other credit cards in her name. My options pls.

Asked almost 4 years ago - Chicago, IL

When I am not around she copies down credit card number, expire date and security code.one card is linked to my sole proprietor business account. She has also forged checks from two accounts I am listed on solely. If she rings up balances and does not pay them on cards she is listed solely on or which she has forged my name as a coholder, what are remedies (for all scenarios above)? Thank you.

1. David Matthew Gotzh

Pro

Answered . Have you talked to you wive about her ripping you off? I mean, you're married, that's sorta what husbands and wives do - talk to each other about problems. Because short of divorce there's nothing else that can be done to stop asset dissipation by your wife.

2. Tara Leigh Goodwin

Answered . If she is the sole borrower on the account, you normally can't be held liable for the account. For accounts which she opened in your name, without your knowledge you will need to be willing to report her conduct to the fraud departments of the companies involved and file a police report against her to have much hope of clearing your name from the accounts. If you are willing to do that, you can make a financial identity theft police report, and then provide that along with a fraud affidavit, to the company where she opened the account. You should insist that the account be immediately closed (you should do this even if you don't make a police report), and that your personal information be removed from the account. Because you are married, the creditors will probably put up a big fight -- you will need to be persistent. You need to check your credit reports to see exactly how much damage has been done. Along with disputing the fraudulent accounts directly with the creditors, you should also send a dispute to each of the credit bureaus on which the accounts appear. Include a copy of the police report and fraud affidavit with your disputes. You also should put a fraud alert on your credit reports, and consider a credit freeze, which would prevent anyone from opening new accounts in your name. Both the FTC and the Illinois Attorney General's web sites have a lot of information for victims of identity theft. As far as the checks, you need to report the signatures as forgeries right away. The bank is also likely to put up a big fight, and may claim you are responsible because you didn't adequately safeguard your checkbook. You should also consult an attorney who specializes in representing victims of identity theft for more advice and assistance, along with, as mentioned by the first poster, possibly a divorce attorney.