Skip to main content

My wife took off with our kids to her sister's house. How can I get the kids back?

Orlando, FL |
Filed under: Divorce

My wife and I still live together with our two children. She's having an affair and I'm letting her stay while she gets enough saved up to move out. She told her sister that I threatened her and her lover and doesn't feel safe here.

Attorney Answers 3


I don't usually start off by recommending people file for divorce, but that is exactly what I am telling you to do. Hire an attorney, file for divorce, get a parenting plan in place for your children. Too much drama is not in the best interests of your children.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

5 lawyers agree


You need to get an attorney on your side swiftly. The attorney should be one who is known to be aggressive and one who has practiced for decades.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq. We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I make do not constitute legal advice. Any statements made by me are based upon the limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in Florida.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


You need an experienced and dedicated family law attorney in your area to assist you. She has already cheated on you and now left you with your kids, it is time to file for divorce and protect your rights and the rights to your children. It also sounds like she is setting you out to be the "bad guy" or the violent one, so I would recommend moving forward fast. I am also curious where she took off too in relation to where you were living.

Contact an attorney to discuss as soon as possible.

Ophelia Bernal-Mora, Esquire
Orlando Family Law Attorney

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a divorce and family law firm located in Orlando, Florida. Communication through Avvo does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to our office until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

3 lawyers agree




We live east of Orlando and she took the kids to Mt. Dora. We're in Orange county and she left to Lake county. I was told if I went there to see my kids they would call the cops on me.

Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora


I would definitely recommend moving forward with the divorce and requesting time-sharing be setup in a Florida Parenting Plan.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics