Skip to main content

My wife says she will refuse to sign divorce papers. What can I do?

Clarksville, TN |
Filed under: Divorce Adultery

I am in love still with an ex of mine that I never did get to be with long enough to see if we could have made it as a couple. She has the same feelings towards me so I am wanting a divorce from my wife because i feel that I need to see what me and the other woman could be like, if we could still make it as a couple. My wife says she will not sign the divorce papers for me to be able to be with this other woman. What can I do? I live in Tennessee, montgomery county.


Attorney Answers 1


If your Wife will not sign the divorce paperwork, this means your divorce will have to start out as a contested divorce. This means your attorney will file a Complaint (which asks the Court to give you a divorce), which your Wife will then be served with. She will have thirty days to respond by filing an Answer. At that point, your attorneys will initiate discovery (interrogatories and/or depositions) and you will be required to attend mediation within six months if you do not settle within that time frame. Should mediation not result in a settlement, your case will go to trial where you will have a prove a ground for divorce (adultery, inappropriate martial conduct, etc.) and the Judge will decide on division of assets and debts and a parenting plan if you have children.

Intended for educational purposes only.

Mark as helpful

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics