My Wife planning to file Divorce in Ohio & looking for my Money of no Fault to me

Columbus, OH |

Hello sir,
My wife is planning to file Divorce in Ohio but she is not living more than six months as per their laws. And now she is eyeing my Money and asking me money in divorce.
I am not in Favor of this divorce, i tried couple of times to patch up and talk but they are not responsive. They want the divorce.
-Well i donot want to give them any money as she has been greedy since Day 1 and i want to teach them a lesson.
- My question is what are the steps i should follow for the case to be in my Favor.
- Can she file in Ohio although i donot live with her in ohio, in different state
-How can i counter their Notice for Divorce action

Thanks

1. If you meet the residency and jurisdictional requirement of where you are lving, then file for divorce ere before your wife files for divorce in Ohio. Seek local experienced divorce lawyer to help you.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

2. The most important step you can follow is to get a family law attorney in your state to help you take the appropriate procedures with your goals in mind. The attorney can help you with the jurisdiction issues and filing the divorce.

Disclaimer: This email message in no way creates an attorney client relationship between Majeski Law, LLC and the recipient. Responses are general in nature and do not constitute legal advice. You should consult a lawyer regarding any specific legal matter.

3. If your wife is not a resident of the State of Ohio (six months) and her County (ninety days) and you are a resident of your State and County, you should consult an experienced divorce lawyer to determine if it would be better for you to file in your home state first. Regardless, seeking experienced legal counsel is critical at this time. Good Luck to you!

ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS POSTED ARE FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY AND ARE NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS CREATING AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. SPECIFIC QUESTIONS SHOULD BE ADDRESSED WITH A QUALIFIED ATTORNEY OF YOUR CHOOSING.

4. Since you reference filing a Notice of Divorce, I am assuming that your wife has already filed for divorce in Ohio. If this is the case, you will need immediate consultation with an attorney to determine how to respond to the Notice and the timing of filing for divorce in your state.

Linda Lawrence 614-228-3664

Ms. Lawrence may be reached at 740-363-0990 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: lawrence@lawrencelawoffice.com. All of Ms. Lawrence's responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Lawrence is licensed to practice law in Ohio. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.

5. I am very sorry to hear that you are going through this. You raise some complicated issues for which you should seek the counsel of a qualified Ohio attorney. I wish you the best and truly hope it works out for you.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

6. I am very sorry to hear that you are going through this. You raise some complicated issues for which you should seek the counsel of a qualified Ohio attorney. I wish you the best and truly hope it works out for you.