My wife owns a business in her name. I help out with the business but I do not draw an income. Does my wife have to pay me?

Asked over 1 year ago - Saint George, UT

What ramifications if any will be against the business for the spouse working but not drawing an income

1. Frank A. Natoli

Pro

1

Answered . Hi,

Your question, though simply stated, is actually not so straight forward.

There may be both federal and state employment law as well as family law issues implicated here. I mean, plenty of spouses help with their spouses business and are not treated as employees. It franky depends on what your involvement is.

You should consult a local lawyer that can explore all the issues you are concerned with in more detail before you do anything. Keep in mind that you may have a financial interest in this business by virtue of being married to its owner. So don't do anything such as report a labor issues with DOL, etc in spite because this may have the unintended effect of hurting the business and thus diminishing your interest in it as well. Talk to a lawyer.

Best regards,
    Frank
    Natoli-Lapin, LLC
    (see Disclaimer)

2. Michael T Millar

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with Mr. Natoli. An attorney would have to know far more details to determine whether you qualify as an employee.