My wife on L2 is 7 months pregnant & my L1 visa petition getting invalid...What should I do.We both have valid I94 till 2014!!!

Austin, TX |

I am finishing my 5 years in USA as L1B so my petition becomes invalid after 5 years and my wife is 7 month pregnant. I want her delivery to be happen here..We have valid i94 till 2014...Can we stay till her delivery?
What are the legal issues.? Please suggest...

FYI...My petition becomes invalid in may'2013 as i am finishing 5 years on L1B

You r status is valid until the expiration of your I-94 in 2014.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Your petition will only become "invalid" only upon the expiration date found on your I-94. For once admitted to the US it is the date on your I-94 that governs the terms of your stay and status validity in the US , and nothing else. You can safely continue working on L-1B status until the expiration date in 2014 and stay here for the delivery.
Best wishes,
Giacomo

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

If you will not be working on L-1B, you may want to change status or leave the U.S. Talk to an experienced immigration attorney to discuss options if any.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.