My wife lives in England and I am a florida resident, how difficult, and how long will it take to get a divorce?

Asked 6 months ago - Tampa, FL

We have no children together, we share property in Jamaica, and we have been separated for 9 months.

1. Joseph Julius Registrato

Pro

2

Best Answer

Answered . It will be simple and quick if she will sign a marital settlement agreement, but not simple otherwise because service of process is not easy in foreign countries.

2. John Arthur Smitten

1

Answered . You can file in FL however if she has no contacts to FL then you may have a long arm jurisdiction problem. Use of a lawyer is recommended.

3. Elliot Jay Goldstein

Answered . As long as you have been a resident of FL for at least the past 6 months, you can file in FL. However, I agree with Mr. Smitten's response. The divorce in FL can address the Jamaican real property, but there is no guarantee the Courts in Jamaica will honor the FL judgment as to that real property. At the time of separation, if both parties were residing in England, you might want to consult with both an attorney in England, and an attorney in FL, to determine where it would be best to file.