My wife lives in England and I am a florida resident, how difficult, and how long will it take to get a divorce?

Asked 6 months ago - Tampa, FL

We have no children together, we share property in Jamaica, and we have been separated for 9 months.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Joseph Julius Registrato


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . It will be simple and quick if she will sign a marital settlement agreement, but not simple otherwise because service of process is not easy in foreign countries.

  2. John Arthur Smitten

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You can file in FL however if she has no contacts to FL then you may have a long arm jurisdiction problem. Use of a lawyer is recommended.

  3. Elliot Jay Goldstein

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . As long as you have been a resident of FL for at least the past 6 months, you can file in FL. However, I agree with Mr. Smitten's response. The divorce in FL can address the Jamaican real property, but there is no guarantee the Courts in Jamaica will honor the FL judgment as to that real property. At the time of separation, if both parties were residing in England, you might want to consult with both an attorney in England, and an attorney in FL, to determine where it would be best to file.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,929 answers this week

3,344 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,929 answers this week

3,344 attorneys answering