My wife left the U.S. for a few years to care for her aged mother. Upon her return her Green Card was revoked for abandonment.

Asked 10 months ago - San Antonio, TX

We have both lived and worked in the U.S. for 20 years. I am still a Green Card holder. She did not abandon the U.S. as she came back numerous times to visit. Is there some way we can appeal to get her Resident Alien status reinstated?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There is no direct appeal, but as a green card holder you can sponsor her for another green card.

    Please see

    Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all... more
  2. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . A finding of the abandonment of her lawful permanent resident status cannot be appealed. You will now need to start the entire process of sponsoring her for a green card. Seek to consult with, and hopefully hire an experienced immigration lawyer to help you with all this.

    Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that... more
  3. Edward James Kazaleh

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It is gone.
    Is there some reason she did not get a US Citizenship 17 years ago onward?
    It is an immigration TO America to become an American document, not a travel freely document.

    We provide Strong & Cost Effective legal work in Houston and Dallas offices, as well as, by appointment Statewide.... more
  4. Lalita Haran

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . It is a little too late to question revocation. But refiling for her is a better option. Seek help if you would like to know how to speed it up. Best Wishes!

    My answers are for general information only, NOT A legal advice because these are not tailored to your specific... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,907 answers this week

3,515 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,907 answers this week

3,515 attorneys answering