My wife just finished school and got hired but haven't gotten paid yet, she is filing form I-485 so I can become a resident.

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

She doesn't have any proof of income or tax return because she has been in school for the past 6 or 7 years. We filed I-130 a month ago and now we are submitting form I-485 (I know we should've filed them together but we did not have the money) I came to the US 7 years ago on a visa and overstayed. We already have a friend who is going to be our co-sponsor, but my wife still has to file form I-864, so what do we submit?

Thank you for your answers!

1. Jeffrey Jose Estrella

3

Answered . As long as your co-sponsor can show he or she makes enough to support you, it should be fine.
    Hire a lawyer to protect your legal rights.
    Jeffrey J. Estrella, Esq.
    Licensed Attorney and Counsellor At Law/Abogado y Licensiado
    Licensed in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut
    The Estrella Law Firm, P.C.
    75-20 Astoria Boulevard, Suite 170
    Inside The Bulova Corporate Center
    Jackson Heights, NY 11370
    T. (347) 628-2391
    F. (718) 672-4728
    E. Estrella.Jeffrey@gmail.com
    www.EstrellaLawyer.com

2. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . Yes, your wife needs to file an I-864

3. Shachar S. Malachovsky

2

Answered . Your wife would file the form I-864 and I usually include a separate affidavit explaining why she has not filed federal income tax returns. If she has already started working then she should include income checks along with a letter from her employer about her income. It sounds like you will need a joint sponsor that will also need to fill an I-864 along with his/her federal income tax returns with w-2s and proof of current income and proof of US citizenship or green card. I would urge to consult with an experience immigration attorney before you file any more documents because in the long run your case can be delayed or possibly denied if you don't file properly.

4. Atoosa Vakili

Answered . Yes, she needs to file the I-864 and provide as much documentation regarding her new job. You should have a co-sponsor as well with sufficient income/assets to make sure you meet the requirements. Good luck.