My wife is saying she is gonna leave state is there anything i can do about it

Asked over 1 year ago - Elizabethtown, KY

We are separated and i am getting ready to file for devorce

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Howard M Lewis


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . If there are no children involved, then yes. If there are children involved, I suggest you contact a local divorce attorney and file as soon as possible so as to stop her from moving the child(ren) from you. Best of Luck.

    Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to... more
  2. John Tyler Dunigan

    Contributor Level 5

    Answered . More information is needed to answer this question. As mentioned earlier, you can stop her from leaving with minor children. If there are no children then I am not sure of your concern? As you are separated, have you already split your personal items and financial accounts? Is there marital property that must be divided? It is always best to file while she is in the state and have the status quo order go into effect before she leaves with marital funds if this is there are any. In any event, she does not have to be in the state to divorce her. There are multiple issues to your question so you should speak to an attorney.

    None of the comments made by attorney John Dunigan should be considered legal advice. Further, comments made by... more
  3. Paula Brown Sinclair

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . As an adult, she is free to travel and live wherever she wishes.

    This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,588 answers this week

3,015 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,588 answers this week

3,015 attorneys answering