Skip to main content

My wife is Kuwait born (not a citizen), but I (Indian) am the primary applicant for the Green Card, can I do concurrent filing?

Aurora, IL |

My employer said he is filing my Green Card in EB 2 category , I got my Labor approved and my employer is filing i140 now . Since my wife is Kuwait born and the Priority date is current for EB 2 ROW , Can i file i140 & i485 together ? Note : I am the primary Applicant ( born in India ) . Should my wife file a separate Green Card ?

Attorney Answers 3


If your priority date as a native of India is current, then yes, your employer can file the I-140 and you attach the I-1485 package concurrently . your wife's I-485 package can be field and sent at the same time.

Even though at present your priority date as a native of India seems current, there are chances that priority your date might "retrogress" (fall behind & become stuck) anytime in the near future.
Thus, I suggest you ask your employer to tell his attorney to notify USCIS in its petition cover letter that you are requesting that your application (immigrant visa) be charged to the country of birth of your wife, Kuwait, whose quota is always current and never retrogresses. This way you will not be exposing yourself to priority date retrogression risk once the case is filed, something which could delay the approval of your I-485 for a long time..

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree




Appreciate your advice.

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Giacomo Jacques Behar


You are very welcome. Always. Please do not forget to designate a "Helpful" and ""Best Answer".


I agree with my colleague. You should consult an experienced immigration attorney for this matter. You may schedule a consultation with an immigration lawyer in your area, my firm is handling these matters in New York. If you would like free legal updates on these immigration issues you may sign up for our newsletter at .

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova

Mark as helpful

11 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees


I agree with Behar. Consult with a local immigration lawyer. I’m sorry, but my firm only handles personal injury cases.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics