My wife is ill and having to go to the doctor regulary this whole year. my question what can i deduct from my expenses for my

Asked about 2 years ago - Houston, TX

tax return next year. ex: parking fees at hospital, gas to drive over there, food we eat there, medicaions ,copays, extra stuff i have to buy because of her condition. thanks in advance

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Everett R. Buck


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . I agree with Mr. Perez's comments. You can deduct your parking fees, vehicle mileage to and from hospital or to visit other doctor's offices, prescription medications, and copays. Meals are considered personal expenses and are not deductible. Extra stuff that may be deductible are necessary medical appliances, such as crutches, wheelchair, installation of a wheelchair ramp or grab bars at your home, and other necessary items. You can download IRS Pub 502 at, which includes additional explanation.
    However, only the amount of medical expenses in excess of 7% of your adjusted gross income is deductible as an itemized deducton.

    This information is provided for educational purposes only, and is not to be relied upon as legal advice. You... more
  2. M. Robert Perez III

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You can deduct your copayments, mileage to and from your house to the treatment location(s), parking, lodging (if required), and prescription medications, among other things. Personal meals would not be deductible.
    A complete list of medical deductions is listed in IRS Publicatiion 502 (Medical and Dental Expenses).

    One thing to keep in mind is that you will only be able to deduct medical expenses to the extent that they exceed 7.5% of your income. For example, if your adjusted gross income was $50,000, and you had $10,000 in out-of-pocket medical expenses, you would only be able to deduct $6,250.

  3. Bruce Givner

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . First, you should not prepare your own return for this year. There are complex rules that apply, e.g., the limit onf miscellaneous itemized expenses. Hire a competent CPA.

    Second, in Google type "IRS Publication 502." This contains all the rules on medical expenses.

  4. Christopher Michael Larson

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . I am going to have to agree with Attorney Givner. Spend some money this year and have a CPA do it. It is very easy to end up in an audit once they see no paid preparer and medical deductions. And that is whether you are right or wrong on the deductions.

    Christopher Larson

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,338 answers this week

3,114 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,338 answers this week

3,114 attorneys answering