My wife is a nonimmigrant alien sponsored by her employer. Do I need to change that status with immigrations

Asked over 4 years ago - Silver Spring, MD

I married a girl from another country who is being sponsored by her employer. Now that we married do my wife have to remain under her employer sponsorship.

Additional information

If I choose to allow her employer remain her sponsor would I be in violation the Depart. of Immigrations.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Kevin Lawrence Dixler


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . It depends. If you are a U.S. Citizen, then you can petition her and she can file for adjustment of status. As the wife of a U.S. Citizen, she is eligible for an immediate visa. This means that she does not have to rely upon an employer's petition at this point.

    The process of obtaining conditional and later permanent resident status through marriage can get complicated. Your family should seek an appointment with an experienced immigration attorney for further assistance with the petition process.

    The above is general information and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

  2. Lamar Peckham

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . If you are a US citizen, married to a foreign national who is in the US on a non-immigrant visa, you should apply for her permanent resident status.

    The most favored category under US immigration law is immediate relatives of US citizens, which your wife appears to be. Adjustment of status may be available and relatively straightforward. Contact an immigration attorney right away.

    Lamar Peckham
    Law Office of Lamar Peckham
    555 Sebastopol Rd., Ste. C
    Santa Rosa, CA 95407

    Cal. State Bar No. 121790

    --20 year member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association--
    --Practicing immigration law before USCIS, in Immigration Courts, the Board of Immigration Appeals, U.S. District Courts, U.S. Circuit Courts of Appeals; admitted to practice in the U.S. Supreme Court--
    --Practicing criminal defense law in all the courts of the State of California--

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,772 answers this week

2,846 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,772 answers this week

2,846 attorneys answering