My wife is a member of the US military, can she file for my immigration status if i have been out of status for over 1 year?

Indianapolis, IN |

just want to know if there are any restrictions for veterans, beacause i have been out of legal status with my stay in the US for over a year and my wife is about to file for my change of status.

If your wife is a citizen and you entered the U.S. lawfully, she can file a petition for you. If the case is handled properly and if there are no other issues, you should be able to adjust status. If you entered the U.S. unlawfully, Parole-in-Place may be applicable.

Attorney Khurgel is a former USCIS and State Department Embassy Officer. His comments on Avvo are general advice, and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

Thank you

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Great response by my esteemed colleague

If your wife is a US citizen and you entered the US lawfully, she can sponsor you for a green card and you can adjust your status in the US. Please see

Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Great response by my esteemed colleague

If she is a citizen, she might be able to. Please talk to an immigration lawyer before asking her to do anything. Anything at all related to your status.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Great response by my esteemed colleague