Skip to main content

My wife has to go to court for a car accident that happened last year, she rear ended someone now they want to make a claim

Hermitage, TN |

no cops were called and my wife states there was no one else in the car at the time of the accident.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


You need to report this claim to your auto insurance carrier immediately so that the insurance company can retain counsel to represent you.

If you do not have insurance, then you need to retain an attorney on your own or face the risk of having to pay a judgment against your wife. She may also have her license suspended.


You need to report the matter to your carrier.


If you have received notice of a lawsuit, you should immediately contact your insurance carrier so it can provide an attorney to defend you. You are typically required to file a responsive paper with the court within 20-30 days, so you need to act quickly to make sure your rights are protected. Insurance companies are aggressive in defending these claims, so they will investigate whether they believe there is a legitimate claim and proceed accordingly.

Good luck.


Report it to your insurance company, and they will provide a lawyer to defend.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


Call your insurance company ASAP.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.


Let your insurance company handle it. If you didn't have insurance at the time, you'll need to hire an attorney. Good luck.

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.


If you haven't yet, report the claim immediately to your insurance company. If you do not, your insurance company may not have to provide an attorney to defend your wife or to pay for the claim if your wife is sued.

This response is given solely as a general response to the question and does not create an attorney / client relationship between the questioner and responder.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer