My wife has L2 and she is outside US right now. I have applied for Adjustment of Status.

Houston, TX |

So my wife has L2 and she is outside US right now. I have applied for Adjustment of Status and I have not received my Advance Parole or my EAD documents yet. My question is, while I am waiting for these documents, can my wife travel on L2?

Secondly, once I receive these documents would my wife still be able to travel on L2?

Yes & yes. As long as the AOS is pending you still retain the underlying nonimmigrant visa status unless you change same by traveling abroad and entering on the advance parole or filing an affirmative COS.

This is not legal advise and should not be construed as such by anyone.

I am impressed how quick your response was. Thanks.

Harry Asatrian

Harry Asatrian

Thanks! Hopefully this makes it clear.

Yes it did, thanks again. A quick supplement question this... So while my AOS is pending, I can't travel outside US on L1 but my wife can travel on L2, correct?

Harry Asatrian

Harry Asatrian

If you have a valid L-1 visa, you should have no issue traveling abroad and entering in L-1 status while the AOS is pending.

And by "pending AOS" I mean I don't yet even have AP document.

Harry Asatrian

Harry Asatrian

YOu don't need an AP to travel if you have a valid L-1 visa. Be reminded: This is not meant to be legal advise because I don't have all your facts.

I understand and thanks again for your comments.

Your wife can travel to the United States while your application for adjustment of status is pending assuming you are still in valid L-1 status. Your wife would still be able to travel after you receive those documents. However, she will not be able to travel with the L-2 visa if you are not in compliance with the terms if your L-1 visa (such as not working for the employer) or once you adjusted status.

Wendy R. Barlow, Esq, The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., 111 Broadway, Suite 1306, New York NY 10006, (866) 456-­8654, wendy@myatorneyusa.com, www.myattorneyusa.com. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this answer, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the answer without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a licensed attorney. Provision of information on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., nor is it intended to do so.

Thanks Wendy! That was helpful.

Can you also please elaborate a little on "...once you adjusted status"?

Wendy Rebecca Barlow

Wendy Rebecca Barlow

Once you have adjusted your status to a lawful permanent residence.

If you are still maintaining your L1 status, yes, otherwise - no.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.