Skip to main content

My wife has filed an I-130, and they recently accepted, how long do I have to wait for an interview? I've been outside the U.S

Winter Haven, FL |

I left under voluntary departure.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Times vary. If you go to they have a chart for the various petitions and locations that gives you a range of time estimates for responses.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******

Heather Morcroft

Heather Morcroft


If you have the receipt number for the petition, you can also track the progess of the petition.


A few months. Do you need an unlawful presence waiver?

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.



Is that for being in the country illegally?


Hard to say, there may even be an interview in the U.S. with your wife first. At the earliest, one year from now.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


About 4-12 months.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


Assuming your wife is a US citizen, rather than a permanent resident, it usually takes 6 months to 1 year before you will scheduled for an interview. If you were in the US for more than 6 months unlawfully you likely need a waiver. This will probably add some time to the process. If you had been in the US more than once unlawfully you may have additional issues.


Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer