Skip to main content

My wife has been attempting to file a divorce for the past eight months. She is filing for divorce; the grounds are irritable

Rochester, NY |

breakdown for the marriage. There has been no intimacy going on between us, and she is making more money than me. I filed for a counter claim, for cruel and inhumane treatment. I have asked numerous times for spousal support and attorney fee. After four times of attending court and talking with both attorneys, finally I have came to conclusion that I don’t want any spousal support and attorney fee. My lawyer has proposed a settlement obtaining a dual divorce. She gets irritable breakdown of marriage and I get cruel and inhumane treatment, but she isn’t agreeing with this settlement offer. My question is any problem for(me or she) this settlement offer? its affeting any way my immigration status ?

Attorney Answers 6

  1. I changed the subject area to Immigration so the proper attorneys will see the question.

    Attorney Inga Stevens is licensed in Maine. She provides general information on No attorney-client relationship arises out of the information given here.

  2. In order to even being to answer your question, you would need to provide some basic information as to your status here in the U.S. What status are you here on, if any? Are any petitions pending with USCIS or the Department of State for you? Are you a Lawful Permanent Resident with a 10 year Permanent Resident Card or a Conditional Resident with a 2-year card?

    IMPORTANT: Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during an attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private attorney-client consultation. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, an attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual. For persons located in New Jersey: To the extent that Mr. Murray's profile can be considered an advertisement in New Jersey, which is denied, be advised that NO ASPECT OF THIS ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE SUPREME COURT OF NEW JERSEY. Furthermore, the selection methodology for the SuperLawyers' "Rising Stars" awards is set forth at length at this website:

  3. Grounds for divorce will not effect rest of case.

    If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

  4. Mr. Murray is correct ... you haven't told us anything about your immigration status.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  5. I agree with my colleagues. Your fact patters reads more like a rant than a fact pattern to serve as a foundation for a quesiton.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  6. I agree with my colleagues.

    Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics