My wife has a very large medical bill that we are unable to pay. How do we protect our assets?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Shell Knob, MO

How do we protect our home and personal assets in the state of Missouri. They have no homestead exemption. Should we set up some kind of trust or place them under our corporation?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Gary D. Bollinger

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . You wrote, "How do we protect our home and personal assets in the state of Missouri. They have no homestead exemption."

    MO does have a homestead exemption, at $15,000 of equity. Perhaps that will help.

  2. John R. Cantrell Jr.

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . First, I suggest consulting with a local bankruptcy attorney. If this debt can't be dealt with in bankruptcy, then perhaps that attorney would have other suggestions regarding how other persons in this situation have dealt with this problem. You can locate a local bankruptcy attorney using the link below. Most of them offer free initial consultations. Also, many medical creditors will not take action against you if you have some type of payment plan set up with them.

  3. Dorothy G Bunce


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It may be too late for you to act by the means you are considering. Take a look at the Uniform Fraudulent Transfers Act in your state laws. Changing the title to property to prevent existing creditors from seizing it can have civil & criminal repercussions, which is why you need to work with an experienced asset protection attorney before you shoot yourself in the foot. You can find ones in your community by using the "Find a Lawyer" search feature here on avvo. Hope this perspective helps!

  4. Douglass S Lodmell


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . I am sorry to read you are in this situation. This is a difficult one, as we are talking about protecting assets from existing, legitimate creditors.

    In theory, your IRA’s and 401k’s are protected. Bankruptcy may be an option that allows you to apply for the federal 125k homestead. You definitely need to schedule a consultation with an Elder Law/Medicare-Medicaid planning attorney in your area.

    Good luck.

    Douglass Lodmell is the nations #1 Asset Protection attorney and has clients in all 50 states, protecting over $4... more

Related Topics


Bankruptcy is a legal way for people or businesses who are no longer capable of paying back their bills to clear these debts and start over.


There are different types of debt, but all involve one person (the debtor) owing money to another (the creditor). Terms of repayment are governed by a contract.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,766 answers this week

3,372 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,766 answers this week

3,372 attorneys answering